11/25/2010

Miners are feared dead

A second explosion at a New Zealand coal mine Wednesday wiped out all hope of rescuing the 29 miners missing after a powerful blast six days ago.
Police and mine bosses in the South Island town of Greymouth said that, just as a 16-man rescue team was preparing to enter the Pike River mine, a huge explosion ended all hope.
The blast, caused by a build-up of methane within the mine, made it "extremely unlikely" that anyone could have survived, bosses said.


Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/world/Second+blast+ends+hope+saving+miners+Zealand/3874784/story.html#ixzz16EatlG3z









Our prayers are with your families and friends.

3 comments:

My Pink & Cream Cottage said...

I like my fellow Kiwi's have been in mourning since hearing the terrible news yesterday.... my heart aches for all the families...

Lyn xxx

Michelle said...

Oh what a nightmare. I know mines have to be, but the disasters that befall them - and more importantly the workers within - are frightening. My thoughts and prayers are with their family and friends.

Kipp said...

Tragic news...our thoughts and prayers are with the families.