7/07/2020

Meshblocks

Hubby and I like to drive the backroads of New Zealand where I take a lot of photos, as you probably already know. I am usually oblivious to where we are, knowing that Hubby has it all under control, and so I am at a loss as to where many photos are taken.

That's not a problem since I can use  whereisthepicture.com/ to pinpoint the location.

More times than not, I usually get curious about the town or area name and I go hunting on the internet to see what I can find. When I used google, I didn't get much information most of the time and was left very unhappy.

Then I switched to DuckDuckGo (click here for info) and found the answer to my questions!! 

DuckDuckGo told me that the names of many of the places we venture to are simply meshblocks with no history at all. 
Of course, I had to find out more so I'm sharing it with you...

A meshblock is both a geographic unit and a classification. It is the smallest geographic unit for which statistical data is reported by Stats NZ. A meshblock is a defined geographic area, varying in size from part of a city block to large areas of rural land. Meshblocks are contiguous: each meshblock borders on another to form a network covering all of New Zealand, including coasts and inlets.http://archive.stats.govt.nz/methods/classifications-and-standards/classification-related-stats-standards/meshblock/definition.aspx#gsc.tab=0

 These are the NZ meshblocks. You can scroll inside the picture below to see all of them.






So, now I know there is not always a history behind each name place!

4 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Thanks for that info Betty - interesting that DuckDuckGo has more information - my SIL spoke highly of it the other day, and he is a bit of a computer nerd...
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

kiwikid said...

That is interesting, I had not heard of this before.

Rose said...

This is so interesting...I know I will be checking out Whereisthispic at some point in time.

Linda said...

Meshblock ... that is a new word for me.