1/15/2013

Let there be ice

The first time I ordered a drink in a restaurant here, I was surprised that my drink had no ice in it. It was nice and cold, but without ice. I immediately thought of someone I grew up with that always ordered 'without ice' because he wanted his money's worth of drink, but I digress....

It seems that all drinks are served here without ice. In fact, in any store I've looked, it's not even easy to find ice trays for the freezer. They are available occasionally (like everything else) at the bargain store, and I bought a couple, but, I really didn't use them that much, so the ice ended up evaporating. 

To be honest, until this summer, there was never any weather 
warm enough to require ice in a drink since I've been here. 
Ice Cube BagsSo, on a whim, I picked up some Glad brand ice cube bags. It was mostly out of curiosity, and it seemed like an 
interesting experiment, even if Hubby did chuckle at me for 
buying them.

Come to find out, they are absolutely wonderful for the sun tea I make now and then. I'm not usually impressed with 'stuff' but these things are very convenient since you don't even have to lay them flat in the freezer for them to form cubes. And, then, to get the cubes out of the package, they easily squeeze out through the perforations, so you can use as many or few as you want without much fuss at all. I just use three or four for a glass and they throw them back into the freezer drawer until the next time.

It sure is a long way from those metal trays with the lever. Remember them?!

7 comments:

charlotte's menagerie said...

I don't like ice in my drinks. Those bags do sound interesting.

Belle said...

I love ice in my drinks; I think it comes from growing up in California. I'll have to try these Glad ice cube thingies. Thanks for the tip.

Dana said...

I remember those trays!

I never heard of this product. I guess it's true that you learn something new every day!

Anita said...

I wonder if those ice pouches are common here in the states since we have more than enough access to ice. I'll have to Google it out of curiosity.

Now that I turn down soda 99% of the time, I find that I don't need ice. Well, maybe for a rare glass of iced tea.

And yes, I remember the metal ice trays with the levers. :) I was a little girl, but I can still see them now. I think the flexible plastic trays replaced them before we went big time with an ice making fridge. :)

Laurie Collett said...

These ice cube bags sound like a great idea! It's common in Europe & Asia not to get ice in cold drinks. I prefer ice, especially in carbonated drinks.
Thanks for these glimpses into life in New Zealand, & God bless!
Laurie

Danica Bridges-Martin said...

It took me forever to get used to no ice in my drink, and it's often room temperature here in The Netherlands! :) Danica

Nonnie said...

I don't like ice in any drink except iced tea.