3/27/2013

Some weather observations

This is the first year that we have had a 'real' summer since I've been in NZ. Of course, it's been pretty much a drought all over the country, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the warm weather. It's the first summer I have not worn sweats track pants to bed every night; in fact, I've barely worn them to sleep at all.

Having spent a few days away from this mountain makes me realized that Mt Taranaki has so much to do with our weather, even though those that have been here all their lives disagree. I'm not sure how they explain that the countryside is brown everywhere except here, behind the mountain,  but the internet (and other dependable sources) simply explain how mountains take any sort of moisture and dump it on the other side as rain.

The tibouchina in the back yard garden is still blooming this year, as opposed to just blooming in the spring and summer last year and my begonias are still blooming at full speed. The dahlias are bigger than ever right now with such lovely pink blooms.

We had a little cold snap and I was sure that winter was on the way, but I'm still enjoying the warm as long as it will last. I know the farmers aren't enjoying it, but I sure am.

8 comments:

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I keep forgetting that you are opposite in your seasons than we are! Living near Mt. Rainier I know how mountains create their own weather systems. Enjoy the last of your summer days. Your garden sounds wonderful. xx

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I'm always happy when summer lingers - and now when spring arrives.

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for this insight into your summer!

Betty Manousos said...

happy easter!!

xo



love your summer insight.
brilliantly written post:)

Belle said...

I've always pictured New Zealand as hot and dry, but of course that was wrong. When I watched Lord of the Rings I was stunned by the landscape. The mountains reminded me of Canada. Looking at your top photo, it reminds me of California. I didn't know you would not have hot summers every year! Very interesting.

Marja said...

It was a gorgeous summer isn't it Yeh I agree the mountains can make a lot of difference to the weather as the clouds get stuck

Lola said...

Do hope the drought's over for you now! Here in S Spain we've never-ending rain! Want to do a bit of a swap?!


The Johnson Diaries

Move to New Zealand said...

Right now it is summer in India but I believe it would be fantastic weather out their in NZ. Thanks :)