3/02/2013

They are living our dream!

Hubby and I have both been fascinated by the old, abandoned dairy factories that are spread across the Taranaki region. We have photos of most of them that have any parts still standing, with one picture of just a generator part next to a plaque that is all that's left of one factory .

If we were to win the lottery, I wanted to restore a few of them and then give them to the various communities as function venues like weddings and such.

If we wanted to stay in the Taranaki region, I'm sure we might have looked into buying one and living there with some sort of side business at the premises. Alas, we don't want to stay here, but we found a young couple that are living our dream. They bought the old Okato Cheese Factory and have opened an art gallery along with several other services they provide.
They call themselves KM Sculpture and Photography and you can click here for their website. Here are a few photos of their recycle art they have for sale.
















Their property has a river on two sides which makes for a wonderfully serene setting for their 'sculpture walk' of larger art pieces. I'm  sure they will do well.


10 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love that they're restoring the old building! I like the sculptures very much (and quite a bit more than the eels in their water!).

Unknown said...

I do love the sculptures :)

Hugs xx

Belle said...

What a wonderful idea!

Marja said...

Good to be back here. What a wonderful idea and what a lovely art. Must be great. Hope all is well over there. My brother has travelled last summer through your area. I haven't been there yet. Are
there any must see places were you live. My brother went to Mount taranaki and a few other places

Lovable Derek said...

I admire people who live their dream, and I love art. I hope they do well.
Thanks for bringing this inspiring story to us.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I love hearing about old buildings being re-purposed for something wonderful. Love the recycled art, too. xx

Aizzing said...

what an inspiring young couple! really admire how they transformed the old cheese factory into such a creative haven. and those art pieces look incredible!

Nancy said...

I too love the recreation of something old....Always a good thing...

merinz said...

The old factories are good solid buildings. There are a few restored ones around here in the Bay of Plenty. One is a restaurant, another one right in town is a material shop and a hairdressing salon..

Rum-Punch Drunk said...

I really enjoy seeing this type of artwork. It's very different to what you normally see around. The things you can accomplish when you have a little money behind you :)