9/03/2013

Ah, spring!

Spring technically arrived in New Zealand on Sunday. The weather has been leaning toward springtime for a few weeks, so I'm happy that it's 'official' here in the southern hemisphere.

I don't understand the fiddly details of the making of seasons and how they progress through the heavens between the sun and the earth and beyond. I do understand the earth's tilt and the earth's orbit and how they affect our world. But, I have no clue what  makes one day more officious than another. I understand warm, hot, chilly and cold. That I get. It's logical--I feel warm for a week, it shouldn't be winter. Makes perfect sense to me.

But the technicalities of equinoxes (or is is equini? I'll have to look that up later) and all that stuff to determine the time of year--that makes my brain hurt. I suppose it's because there's so many different things that are involved and I need to understand each part to understand the whole concept. I'm all about logic and simplicity. It makes me feel secure.

And, so NZ is earning points with me when it comes to seasons. They We are just plain logical. Four season--each get three months--thus:
  • Spring - September, October, November
  • Summer - December, January, February
  • Autumn - March, April, May
  • Winter - June, July August
Now if I could just find a handle on that metric system....

4 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I like he way your do your seasons down there - I wish the US did them more sensibly.

Desirée said...

It is so strange that you are getting spring now, and we are getting autumn :)

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh that would mess with me....I'm not sure I could really count it as spring in October.

Unknown said...

I was searching the inter-webs for some stuff about New Zealand, a country I lived in from 1984-2000 before returning to Australia when I stumbled across your blog. I've not laughed at/with you so much as your observations about antipodean living and the oddities you deal with daily when compared to the US of A. I've also had the joy of seeing how Americans live and do 'stuff' when I was in Fresno, CA and also a small place about 25 miles east of Cleveland, OH. Thank you for providing both an entertaining and insightful perspective that all who find you on the internet can enjoy.