2/05/2010

Chewy Granola bars recipe

OK, I'm much better at cooking or baking things that taste good than concentrating on the healthy aspect of food. However, since we are feeling the economic pinch a bit, I decided to bake more snacks and 'extras' instead of buying them. I'm not sure if it's a better monetary deal, but I feel better knowing what the family is eating.

Here is my latest recipe that I probably swiped off the internet somewhere but forgot where. It's quick and you can personalize it with goodies that your family likes.


Chewy Granola Bars

4 1/2 c rolled oats
1 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 c butter or margarine, softened
1/2 c honey or syrup
1/3 c brown sugar
2 cups whatever you want to  add-in: chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, candy pieces, chopped dried fruit, sunflower seeds, etc

Heat oven to 325F (165C). Lightly grease 9 x 13 pan.

Combine oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter or margarine, honey or syrup and brown sugar. (I use my hands)

Stir in add-ins.

Lightly press mixture into pan. Bake 20-30 minutes--until golden brown.

Let cool for 10 minutes, then cut into bars. Cool completely in pan before removing or serving.

8 comments:

chitra said...

Any day home made cookies are better, I would have loved to see the photo.

betty-NZ said...

By the time I even think of taking a photo, they're gone! But I did find the original recipe link:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/cookbarCH/chewy-granola-bars.html

Amy said...

I've wondered what granola is, is it like a type of muesli?

Anonymous said...

Home-made just tastes so much better!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm baking these tomorrow. Thank you for sharing!

Connie said...

I have to send 2-3 healthy-ish snacks with the kids to school each day. Sometimes they eat them, sometimes not. Veggies and fruit get destroyed! Such a waste. They get a good lunch at school.. basically, I need to pack energy snacks. Cereal bars, or even cereal and dried fruits or nuts, are expensive here. Homemade is very economical!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I did bake these Betty! Getting ready for a long roadtrip, cleaning out cupboards, used up the last of my oats and honey and brown sugar and they turned out really good. I'll think of you as we travel! Thanks.

Deb said...

they sound really good...