- NZ has about 600 museums and art galleries.
- The first white women to arrive were escaped convicts from Australia in 1806.
- 'Cervena' is the trade name for farm-raised NZ deer.
- Prostitution was decriminalized in 2003.
- In 1898, 'old age pension' was introduced in NZ, the first of it's kind in the world.
- The 'widow's pension' became law in 1911.
- There are 30 species of fleas here.
- NZ's first record-pressing plant opened in Wellington in 1948. The first record produced was 'Buttons and Bows' by Dinah Shore.
- Leonard Deogood was a Charlie Chaplin impersonator who starred in several NZ comedies in the 1920's.
- Color TVs came to NZ in 1973.
- 23,000 NZers worked on the Lord of the Rings movies.
- The international date line passes about 160 kilometers from Gisborne.
- Gavin McCormick formed his own political party, called "The Pull Yourself Together Party".
- New Zealand was the first country in the world to give women the right to vote.
- Pygmy pines grow in the alpine regions of NZ.
- Kaimanawa horses are a feral breed that roam in the Kaimanawa mountains of the northern island.
More NZ trivia
My first post of NZ trivia can be found here. I thought I'd give you a little more to wonder about marvel at from this strange interesting place.
Labels: NZ trivia