5/08/2009

Confusion


If you have never moved from the northern hemisphere to the southern or vice versa, you have no idea how disconcerting it is. Logic would dictate that seasons are simply six months difference; ie, it's now May here in New Zealand, so it should be (5 + 6 = 11) recollections of November weather. 

But, I guess I never learned bothered to pay attention to details of what went on around me. I mean, try as I might, I cannot remember there being flower blooms still hanging onto stems in November in Georgia or Kansas. Did I just not notice? Was I too busy crying about preparing for cold weather and the very real prospect of that four-letter-word, snow?

Or alternatively, has the weather gotten so screwed up that now there are actually blooms in November in the northern hemisphere, but not until I left?

Maybe....Taranaki is such a special place that such late blooms are just an added bonus of living here...nah, even I can't type that with a straight face.

It's amazing  what I can't recall with any degree of certainty about the seasons and the weather.  I just remember one of my best childhood friends, Linda Bailey (Goble) who always wished for snow on her birthday, November 25th (I think it was) and actually got it one year!

Oh, well, in a few years I plan to be senile, so the weather will still be a surprise to me, especially  when the kids tell me it's snowing over and over and over even though the sun is shining.

I need to lie down.

8 comments:

Bitsa Lit said...

LOL! Im sure the weather here in NB is quite different from that of Kansas. Just about everything looks ready for snow by mid november here and there are no blooms anywhere, no leaves lol! Snow usually hits us here by mid to late november but the last couple of years we have only seen it well into december.
It is hard to remember though, and I live here...:D
How mych sonw do you guys usually get in the winter? Is it feet and feet like here or just "normal snow"?

Deb said...

I've always lived in Texas in the same area...but every year I think I don't remember the weather being like this this time last year...it all kind of runs together...

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh I know that would mess me up! I'm not sure I could handle it.

Brenda said...

I lived in the Southern Hemisphere for almost 20 years and it took me a long time to get used to the different seasons. Its so ingrained that November is fall, so when November becomes late spring or early summer, it feels odd.

But you do get used to it eventually :)

Vanessa Rogers said...

It's weird having the opposite seasons huh? I lived in Chile for a while, and it was hard to get used to.

Lorac said...

It must have been really difficult to adjust to the difference in seasons. I cant even imagine November being spring time not the bitter cold we get here at that time of year. Now i can look at your blog in November and enjoy the spring with you! Thank you for coming by my blog site!It is nice to know that some info can be used there as well.

The Grandpa said...

You don't even need to ghange hemispheres. We lived in Boston for many years and then moved to Alabama and discovered that yes there really is a spring, and it starts in February.

Unknown said...

Just the seasonal differences between home in Stratford and here in the South Island of New Zealand are so different. I can now imagine what it was like for you. also of note, we do not have cumulo nimbus ('simpsons' clouds) down here.