11/09/2011

Faith is free and prayer should be, too

Did you ever notice that, when you pray for others, answers come quite quickly; but when you pray for your own needs, it's hard to see any answers? I guess that's why the Bible says, "Share one another's burdens". And so I have looked online for groups that have the same beliefs as me to share some of my innermost concerns--sorta like a world-wide Wednesday night prayer meeting. :)

Sadly, there's a very prominent paid ad on Facebook for prayer that comes up a lot. The same site is a paid ad in Google at the very top of the list when you search for christian prayer.

I looked at the site and was appalled. You fill in the boxes for your request and then they ask how important this request is to you. When you click a box for that, there appears another window that asks for money! I couldn't believe it! When you leave the page, they offer to pray for free, but that seems a bit sacrilegious to me.

I know it costs to have websites, but if the owners of the site believe God wants it up on the internet, then they should trust that God will certainly provide. I was reminded of Smith Wigglesworth, a great British evangelist, who made a deal with God when he became a full time preacher. He told God that he would preach as long as God provided. He would never ask for a penny and told God that, "if my suit ever gets shiny (old and worn) I will go back to plumbing." He never did go back. God is so good!

Times may have changed, but God hasn't. Faith is still simple and still free. And prayer is, too if you know where to look.

1 comment:

Belle said...

I'm disappointed in that Facebook site also. I remember a man in England who started orphanages and never asked for money. God always provided. That is the way ministries should be run.

I hope you find a site with a prayer group that meets your needs.