12/22/2011

It's still weird....

Even after five years in NZ, it still doesn't feel like Christmas without cold weather. I guess growing up outside of Chicago will ingrain that in you.

However, as hard as it is, I am willing to sacrifice snow and sleet and cold temperatures in favor of gardening and picnics on the beach and walks in the park on Christmas day :). It's great fun to see who gets bikes and skateboards and scooters for Christmas because they can actually be used the day you get them!

The only fear of electrocution and fire while putting up lights is if the sprinklers are not turned off and not snow getting into the wiring. But, I guess the down side is falling off the ladder onto the hard ground instead of soft snow.

I still giggle whenever I see Santa with shorts and he still seems a bit out of place sitting on a blanket on the sand and elves in bikinis are mind-boggling.

Since our move, Hubby has been gardening like crazy. Just because he can. So I thought I'd share a bit of Christmas sun and color with you--just in case you're covered up in snow. *trying very hard not to snicker*


For more colors of our southern hemisphere garden, click here.


Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to all my blogger buds!

9 comments:

LV said...

Thank goodness we do not have snow in Texas where I live. There is so much beauty in your country anytime of the year. Loved your bird shot.

chitra said...

Merry Christmas Betty and happy New year to you and your family.

Belle said...

The bird is lovely. How nice your hubby likes to have a garden. Have a Merry Christmas with your family.

merinz said...

Merry Christmas and all the very very best for the new year to you and your family! From us up here in the Bay of Plenty!

Miss Footloose said...

"Santa with shorts [..] still seems a bit out of place sitting on a blanket on the sand and elves in bikinis "

Thanks for the laugh!

Here in Moldova we have no snow yet, but the days are gray and gloomy and wet and have the lights on all day.

Craciun Fericit (Merry Christmas) from Moldova!

Choppography said...

I remember back when I was 12 I met a family from Arizona. They mentioned they had to cut their grass on Christmas Eve to make it look pretty. I about fell down. It's amazing how ingrained things get in us. It still sounds crazy to me that people do that...let alone have summer going on. I doubt I'd get used to it, either. Merry Christmas to you!

charlotte's menagerie said...

Yeah the middle of summer would be strange. But since I live in Louisiana the cooler temperatures just makes outdoors bearable. Thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting.
Merry Christmas

Yvonne said...

Wishing you a very happy Christmas with tons of good cheer!!!

Sarah said...

Merry Christmas! Christmas in summer is normal for me. I'm still yet to experience a white Christmas...maybe one day. :)