4/30/2014

my garden is mixed up

I know that flowers are engineered these days to bloom at different times of the year but I expected this bloom in the summertime, not in the middle of autumn! 

We also have some lilies that are growing like it's spring and dahlias that have died down and are shooting up again! There are some green slender shoots coming up in remote parts of the yard garden that look like they will be gladiolus, too, but I have to wait and see what they do. And one azalea bush keeps putting out one or two blossoms so there is a bit of color on it all the time.

I have to say, my interest is quite piqued by this garden!

In other news, I have found that cows will NOT eat calendula flowers or parsley!! I sure wish I knew other flowers that they won't eat, but it seems that they will try anything once :)

10 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

What a beautiful surprise for you! Sounds like there are climate fluctuations all over the world these days!

Lise said...

Have you been having unusually warm weather? Seems odd to have all those things still blooming for you, but it keeps you with pretty colors all around.

Cranberry Morning said...

How odd that cows won't eat calendula or parsley. My mom sure could have used that information when I was a kid. Can't tell you how many times the heifers got out and into her garden. Maybe if she'd had calendula flowers and parsley as a perimeter, it might have helped! (or maybe not). Beautiful gladiolus. I haven't raised those for years. They're quite spectacular!

Linda said...

Such a lovely surprise!

Jenn Jilks said...

Around here it is our deer!
I can certainly empathise!!!!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

don said...

Our nighttime "eaters" are deer. People are looking for a new product to ward off the deer. I thought the flower is beautiful.

Carver said...

Great shots. I have some mixed up garden moments too.

Sarah said...

Everything seems to be blooming all at once here in the UK, a combination of a mild winter, lots of rain and some recent sun has fast forwarded many things that really shouldn't be in flower for another month or so.

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Always a nice surprise when unexpected flowers decide to pop up ;)

Andrea said...

My sister is a new resident in Auckland just around 2 yrs, and when she came home last April brought be some bulbs that i know will not be happy in our very hot climate. I asked her to buy me hippeastrum but not finding any, bought 3 hyacinth bulbs and some small bulblets that i forgot the name. There are now 2 that tries to grow and they look like gladiolus. I hope they adapt to us. Your gladiolus is lovely.