4/10/2014

Suspended Coffees

I really have no idea how I found the Suspended Coffees Facebook page, but I'm so glad I did.  It's full of great, heart-warming pay-it-forward stories that make my day. After 13 months, the FB page has over 260,000 followers and the owner opened a website today.

The page started out the brainchild of one guy who wanted to spread the word about this phenomenon that started in Europe--buying coffee for someone who can't afford to pay.
We entered a little coffeehouse with a friend of mine and gave our order. While we were approaching our table two people came in and went the counter. “Five coffees, please. Two of them for us and three suspended.” They paid for their order, took the two and left. I asked my friend: “What are those ‘suspended coffees?’” “Wait for it and you will see” he answered. Some more people entered. The next order was for seven coffees and it was made by three lawyers – three for them and four “suspended”. While I still wondered what’s the deal with those “suspended” coffees I enjoyed the summer weather and the beautiful view towards the square in front of the cafĂ©. Suddenly a man dressed in shabby clothes who looked like a beggar came in through the door and kindly asked “Do you have a suspended coffee?” He got a coffee for free – no charge – he sat down and took a sip and a smile ran through his face. It’s simple – people pay in advance for a coffee meant for someone who cannot afford a warm beverage. The tradition with the suspended coffees started in Naples, but it has spread all over the world and in some places you can order not only a suspended coffee, but also a sandwich or a whole meal.

Here's the link to the new website. Suspended Coffees.  Why don't you pop over and check it out when you have a chance. After all, it's about more than the coffee.

6 comments:

Mersad said...

We have the same thing here with bread in bakeries! It's really a wonderful thing.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Lise said...

This gave me goosebumps! Thank you for sharing this brilliant idea, I will visit the Facebook page.

May your day be wonder-filled:)

Naquillity said...

what an endearing story this is... it's nice to read about something good in this world instead always reading the bad... hope all is well. have a great night~

Catherine said...

What a wonderful idea! Love these random acts of kindness...

aspiritofsimplicity said...

It is such a wonderful idea. I am going to check out the stories.

Kristin_Texas said...

Now this is awesome! I'd never heard of "suspended coffee" before. I'm gonna look at that site now.

Kristin