5/11/2016

10 years and counting

In July, Hubby and I will mark the 10-year anniversary of my arrival in New Zealand.

After all this time, I still feel guilty by not stopping at every intersection. Although I found that 'yield' signs are few and far between in the US, they are the rule here in NZ.  Most small towns only have roundabouts for traffic control. I have to admit that I do stop at many 'yield' signs out of habit :)

Fortunately, it's been a while since I've walked up to the wrong side of the car, but I still consciously look for the steering wheel sometimes when I come back to the car. :)

I have finally learned that, when we are shopping anywhere, if we need something, just put it in the cart. There are not enough stores shops to compare prices. All the major grocery stores are supplied by only two distributors.

When I moved, here, I knew it would be 'home' for good. I had no idea there would be so many differences in culture but I tried to take it all in stride.

That being said, it doesn't mean I never got frustrated. On 9 occasions, I blogged about my perception of 'rude kiwis'--just blowing off steam, as we all do.  I don't even have the label of 'rude kiwis' in the list on the right because that's such a small part of my life here, but the total views of these 9 posts, as of today, is 24,316 views. One post in 2008 has had over 18,000 views, and still come up in searches eight years later. It has been read many times in the last few days according to Feedjit.

I have a few different thoughts about this particular post. It bothers me that so many people google 'Rude Kiwis' in the first place; it also bothers me that people think this one post sums up my opinion of New Zealand. If you read the posts under the label 'cultural differences' (on the sidebar),  you will see that I tried to adjust with a bit of humor.

New Zealand has only been a colony since 1840, so it is relatively young as countries go. After much discussion, Hubby and I concluded that, theoretically, the country seems to be at the 'teenager' stage and some of the people showing themselves as such. On that particular post, you can see it with some of the comments about selfishness, bullying, the I-don't-make-mistakes syndrome and any other traits that we attribute to kids of that age. Obviously, that doesn't apply to all the people here, just as you can't apply traits to all of the people in any country.

For those that follow my photography blog over at Photographing New Zealand, you know that I find a LOT of beauty here. After all this time, I am still amazed at the sights I see riding down the roads--even the same roads I've been down many times. I have also met some people that are just as beautiful.

I don't usually write posts this long, so, for those who actually read it all, thanks!

12 comments:

Lise said...

I always enjoy reading your posts about your life, I find it intriguing. Congrats on your 10 years there!

diane b said...

I read it all. Its interesting to hear about people adjusting to their new country. We both did it.

Photo(Geo)grapher said...

Interesting post :-) Congratulations...

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I think people tend to look for the negative more often than the positive. misery loves company so they say.

Natasha said...

Congratulations on 10 years in NZ! So cool and it's always interesting to read about the differences between countries. - Tasha

Anita Johnson said...

I won't and dislike googling anything....taking this at face value and liking it....

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Lovely post - I always enjoy them and wish they were longer. Happy anniversary - I don't recall how long I've been reading your blog - but it seems I was reading it fairly close to the time you moved to NZ. Glad you are adjusting to the differences and I always like to learn about how other countries are different or similar to the US. We are just beginning to get a large number of round-abouts - and adjusting to them. They have certainly cut down on stalled traffic, once people have learned not to stop and yield while in the circle. Lots of grumbling when they were first put in - but now people are realizing that it is quicker to have round-abouts and saves a lot on pollution from idling cars at stop signs.

Melanie said...

I enjoyed your post! I would also be inclined to stop at yield signs mainly because I would be thinking stop. Having the steering wheel on the right side would also throw me! We do learn to adjust both culturally and geographically. When I think of New Zealand, I think of the beautiful scenes from "Lord of the Rings". Such beauty! Have a blessed day.

tina said...

I read it all and am fascinated about your new country (though ten years is a long time it can be construed as new). I lived in Europe over ten years and loved it so much but, alas, it was not home so I feel you in New Zealand. I've always wanted to visit New Zealand as it is supposed to be an amazing place for gardens. In fact, I believe a lot of new introductions are coming from New Zealand. Now I'm off to check out your photography of it. I love the monarch caterpillars! The swan plant looks like our butterfly weed? What a lovely sight1

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

I did read it all and found it very interesting.I know so little about New Zealand except that it is a beautiful place that I will never get to see.

LA Paylor said...

late to the party, but here's my comment if you see it after all these years... wonderful! We watched 800 words on ACORN here in the US so that's what we think NZ is. I had a friend, back in my 20's from NZ and while I could mimic most accents,not hers. Still can't do a NZ but love it. It's a bit of a dream to consider moving to another culture, our move from east coast to colorado was hard enough and feels like another country. I think I'll hang out on your blog and read more from your perspective. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

Anna Ngo said...

I came to your blog via a "rude Kiwis" search but I'm glad to read this post for a bit of perspective. I get where you're coming from.

I was born in NZ, lived in California for 25+ years and returned home six years ago. It was hard for me to adjust to, just like it may have been for you. I've found it harder to connect with people than I expected, and the differences can be jarring but sometimes "better" than what I dealt with in LA.

I've now spent half my life in either place so it's hard to know where my allegiance lies. Sometimes I'm like F these people! And other times it's like aw, don't say that about my home. Anyway, I love reading your blog and always enjoy your perspective. It resonates with me very much. Keep on blogging!