12/21/2009

being older than dirt and other stuff

It's very  seldom that I tell anybody my actual age because it's just a number and I really don't want to be judged by it. I have always told the children that I am 'older than dirt'--which makes them titter and satisfied with my answer. Well, before we moved, we took some flowers to our neighbor. On the way back, Otterboy and I were walking down the drive and he looks at his dirty hands. Then he smiles and holds them up for me to see the dirt and says, "Here ya go, Peachy (that's what they call me). I have some of your first friends."

I'm not sure why I never bought brown eggs in the US. I saw them in stores, but never bought them. There is no choice here. All the eggs in the store are brown. I guess they have different colored chickens here.

When I say the number '2500' aloud, I say 'twenty five hundred'. Here it is 'two and a half thousand'.

I still think it's weird that, in the words 'fillet' and 'debris', all the letters are pronounced. And 'cafe' is pronounced 'calf'.


I ordered some earrings from LuShae Jewelry. I can't say which ones because they are for a birthday present but was very pleased when I got them. The quality is something that impressed me (and that's not an easy thing to do!). Everything about them sparkled! The order didn't take long at all, even for being shipped to New Zealand.  Head on over there and check them out! Just click here.

So far,in our town, the water is paid for yearly by the home owner. They are slowly but surely putting in individual meters, but looks like it will be a while before that system is complete.

Funny how brand names are used on the same items. In America, a permanent marker is a 'magic marker'. Here it is a 'vivid'.

Any drink with lemon in it is referred to as 'lemonade' here, whether it's Sprite or the kids' drink Raro (Kool-aid).

I find it confusing when US and BBC programs use both metric and imperial measures. Mostly, it's metric here, but why don't they sell eggs by 10's instead of dozens? And photos are printed in 6X4 or 5X8 or 8X10.

I'm still willing to sacrifice something huge for Italian sausage for a pizza.

Have you ever heard of a 'green prescription'? Well, it's a weird (voluntary) thing set in motion from the nurse in the clinic. On a regular prescription pad, they 'prescribe' that you should exercise for health and weigh loss [this paper you should keep on the fridge]. Then, they turn your name in to a local group who calls to give info on all the activities you should be interested in (but you're not, really) and discuss your limitations and suggest things you can do (but probably won't). Maybe I'll get motivated after everything is put away.

6 comments:

chitra said...

A nice read.
Even in India we say in thousands instead of hundreds,
In India people speak English with its regional accents , but English is not our Mother Tongue

Here also we have water meters for each house and I found all this interesting to read

Merry X Mas for you and your family all the way from India.

Hootin Anni said...

Loved this post. First and foremost I love your nickname.

And about metric vs. American Style...I don't think I could ever get that difference straight in my head. Liters, meters, kilometers...vs. gallons, feet/inches and miles. LOLOLOL

Have a blessed holiday.

Lachezar said...

I have truly enjoyed your blog and comments throughout this year and wish you all the best for the Festive Season and a Happy, Healthy and Successful New Year for you and your loved ones!

LadyFi said...

Love all this interesting information... There has been talk about having green prescriptions here in Sweden too.

Love Otterboy's comment - too adorable.

Hope you're all having a wonderful time!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Interesting, very interesting. We were lucky enough to spend a mere 3 months in London and caught on quickly to some of the pronunciations you mention (kaf" being foremost in my mind) and we still wanted to say it like that when we got back home. I've never heard of the green prescription bit; don't know if I'd like that much. I do believe in wellness and all that, but wow, the prescription" even if voluntary seems a little mommy-statish. I'd do like you and ignore it with a laugh I expect.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Ooh, a green prescription. Great way to lower health care costs and increase personal responsibility. And I'd hate it. So I'd better take charge of my own well-being!