11/29/2016

Feeling my age

I have come to the conclusion that I am officially a relic.

I am definitely 'old school' when it comes to most things. After all, it worked when I was growing up and we didn't die or hate our parents.

Personally, I think most kids are repeating what they have heard when they have 'opinions' on politics or the state of the world.

Kids claiming 'Not my President'? Oh, please. What could a 16 year old possibly know about world economics and the difference a political party makes over the next 4 years?

I barely knew what party the President belonged to, much less what party controlled Congress and the Senate when I was their age. Have they matured that much? I tend to think not.

The video below is a trailer for a show that is being shown here in NZ. It's called 'Making Families Happy'.



What caught my attention is the boy at the beginning saying, 'I've never really seen a happy family.' I'm wondering how he decided his family wasn't or his friends' families weren't. It's certainly not something that I remember weighing on my mind at his age.

'Cynical' is not my default mood, but I'm beginning to understand, maybe a little, why old people are that way.

5 comments:

diane b said...

I think kids are much more sophisticated now than when I was young. I'm feeling old these days because of the aches and pains

Marja said...

I was really aware of happy families when I was young. In the Netherlands one parent usually works part time and gets supported when a stay at home parent. I think some of the basic ingredients of happy families are a work-life balance and not too much stress

Hetty said...

I sometimes feel old, but mostly happy! Enjoy the smal things, that is my advise. Groetjes Hetty

KL said...

Interesting topic. I don't have any opinion yet but talking to younger people (even of the age 12/13), I find that they are much more knowledgeable and aware of all the things happening in the world than we were at that age. Sometimes they even know more than their parents do at certain topics. I find them more independent, strong-minded, strong-willed and liberal. They are much aware of climate, environment, animal cruelty, tech, etc; Example: many of them are vegans even when their parents are hardcore animal-eaters. It's actually pretty amazing to see the younger generation today. But then there are also those who are on the opposite end of the spectrum. It will be very interesting to see what sorts of adults these younger generation will become.

likeschocolate said...

I imagine this clip is true for lots of children, but how sad! I should ask my children if they find our family happy. We bicker, but I think we share a good amount of love too!