9/01/2017

mandarins and me

Now that I have lived outside the US, I understand that the States protect their domestic products by limiting imports that compete and that is how it should be. Of course, that makes it hard to find the equivalent of US things--like Muenster Cheese--because I could not compare NZ and US products side by side.

When I was growing up in Indiana, I think my most favorite fruit was Naval Oranges. I loved the taste and remember the juice running down my arms in the summertime. For special occasions, I loved it when Mom would make Ambrosia Salad with Mandarin oranges putting my favorite flavor in a sweet side dish from a can. To me, a girl who has always had trouble thinking outside to box, being from a can made them exotic and, by extension, special since they came all the way from China!

So, imagine my surprise when I found them at every grocery store in New Zealand, sold in bins just like any other fruit! That may not sound anything but ordinary to others, but I was absolutely shocked!

Imagine that.

I have since gotten used to buying them and they are a preferred fruit in our house since they peel so easily but, I really wish my mind would think more laterally.

Oh, well.

6 comments:

Little Wandering Wren said...

Mandarins in a can that's interesting, I never quite know the difference between a mandarin and a satsuma, but I do know a British Christmas is not the same with out them TO peel - ha ha!
Wren x

Yvonne said...

Love mandarins fresh, but out of season I eat the Dole ones directly from the can with a fork. Yummy!

Anita Johnson said...

I love those oranges, exotic or not, too!

diane b said...

That's an interesting story. Coming from a place where fresh mandarines are common place, I would never dream of eating them out of a can. Your new experiences in a new country must surely help you think laterally. You were brave to take the leap out of your comfort zone.

Pat Tillett said...

Yum! Ambrosia salad is so good.
I guess there are lot of little (or large) culture shocks when relocating to somewhere so distant. I'm sure it's been a great adventure for you. We used to live in a house that had two large naval orange trees. I used to eat them right off the tree, make OJ, or make screwdrivers out of them. I miss those trees...

Linda P said...

Those mandarin oranges from a tin used in fruit salads were a real treat when I was a child as fresh tropical fruits were not available. Now we can get everything in the supermarkets, but I still like to look out for fruit and veg in season. Thank you for coming by my blog and leaving a kind comment. It's good to keep in touch.