3/17/2019

Thanks

I appreciate all the wonderful comments and expressions of concern for me and my fellow New Zealanders after the mosque shooting in Christchurch, in the south island, a few days ago. Blogger friends are the best.

I can't imagine what the families and friends of the 50 dead and 40-odd still in the hospital are going through at this time and can only keep them in my prayers, as I know you are doing.

We were shopping in Hawera today--a small town of about 12,000 in the north island, 460km/285miles and across the Cook Strait from Christchurch--and saw armed police guarding the Hawera Islamic Center. Considering that the local police are usually not armed (although they all wear bullet proof vests) it was strange to see them holding semi-automatic weapons as they waved back at us as we went by.

Of all the countries in the world, I never would have thought that little New Zealand would be the center of attention for the whole world because of something like this. It just proves that if someone wants an illegal firearm, there are always ways to get it, even in a country that bans them.

13 comments:

Marja said...

No who would have thought that Absolutely unbelievable So intensely sad Take care

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

This is not New Zealand. Just surreal and appalling.
Xx

Lise said...

What a tragedy!

Niki said...

Such a shock when I heard about this. Just terrible and sad. :-(

kiwikid said...

So very sad to hear of this happening in beautiful NZ.

Nancy Chan said...

It is so shocking and sad.

Jill Harrison said...

So shocking to hear and see the news. Tragic that this can happen in our world. I pray for those still in hospital and the families who have lost loved ones.

Calendula said...

It was a great shock! I stayed in Christchurch during my vacation in New Zealand! So terrible to hear what happened there and I'm so sorry for these families who lost their loved ones!

KB said...

I still can't believe it really.

KB said...

P.S The firearms weren't purchased illegally but hopefully the gun laws will change so those kinds of weapons can longer be purchased.

Shammickite said...

I visited NZ a few years ago, going to a family wedding in Auckland. A beautiful peaceful country. What happened in Christchurch is shocking, but it seems to be happening all over the world, so sad, so unacceptable, so wrong. PM Adern is doing the right thing getting rid of the guns. If only the US could make the same move.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Just utterly abhorrent. We are all so impressed by the way your Prime Minister has handled the situation.
With love.
Wren x

Trini Altea said...

Un Saludo desde EspaƱa