10/20/2019

Ratana

Hubby took me to see so much of the north island when I first got here, it was a whirlwind of photos and scenery.

This photo is from 2007 and I remember taking it and being curious about the 'church' but it got lost in the hub-bub of thousands of other photos.

Turns out, it's actually a Pa (a Maori word that means lots of things, including 'meeting house') for a NZ-based religion called Ratana.



Tahupōtiki Wiremu Rātana came to prominence as a powerful Māori spiritual leader and faith healer. He founded a religious movement and headed a pan-tribal unity movement campaigning for social justice and equality based on the Treaty of Waitangi. 

10 comments:

kiwikid said...

Interesting looking church.

Amy said...

I like Ratana churches the most, there's a few of them in the far north of NZ.

Linda said...

Beautiful building! Nicely shown too.

gz said...

a lovely building

KB said...

Gorgeous building. We're finally having a sunny day in Auckland. How about you?

Andrea said...

I hope i can also explore more lovely places at the North Island.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Like many people I suspect I know little of Maori culture, its history and its influence on modern day life in New Zealand. At least this gives me a bit of an inkling, thank you!

Marja said...

Great looking building I never heard of the Ratana religion. Very interesting Thank you

Nancy Chan said...

Beautiful church.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your beautiful photos and korero