sherbet or sorbet

 After all this time, I thought I had heard all the differences of meanings between American and British words. One again, I am wrong.

The latest discover came about with a discussion with Hubby when I was describing a hot-weather concoction I made that I have always called 'stuff'. I got the idea many years ago from a punch recipe. It's made with 7-up or Sprite poured over a glad full of sherbet, mixed with a spoon and then drunk with a straw.

Well, he had no idea what I was talking about since 'sherbet' is a whole different animal in Britain than it is in America.  The British version is a powder (it made me think of 'pixie stix' from my childhood) that you eat by dipping a piece of licorice into it. Click here for a recipe for the British version of sherbet. 

The American version is made with cream.

Hubby brought home some sorbet for me to try the other day. For those that don't know, it's a water based 'ice' that is flavored with various fruit flavors that is available in most stores. 

It's nice on its own but, alas, doesn't translate to 'stuff' very well.

1 comment:

kiwimeskreations said...

Your stuff sounds like what we (I) call an ice-cream sundae, or a 'floater' - pour the fizzy drink over some (vanilla) ice cream!!
Stay safe