2/18/2011

Kiwano

Something happened to me when I moved to New Zealand. I don't know when it happened, but it happened. I became much more curious and adventurous. Maybe it's because I had someone to experience things with. Maybe it's because there are so many things here that I never noticed before. I don't know.

I do know that, before NZ,  I wouldn't have given this kiwano (horned melon) a second look, much less take it home and taste it. For those who aren't adventurous, I will tell you that it tastes exactly like a cucumber. A cucumber in jelly. With more seeds. Weird thing. Now I know.


8 comments:

Belle said...

A really pretty fruit, but I don't like cucumbers so I guess I wouldn't like it either. Hubby would though!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I am always curious, I bought one too.
I prefer telegraph cucumbers. Less seeds.

LisaDay said...

Sounds fantastic.

LisaDay

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California.

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You, ~Ron

chitra said...

Long time since I visited your posts.

I haven't seen this fruit in India.

cherie said...

Beautiful Pictures and Love your posts!
Have a great day!

Marja said...

We talked about that interesting fruit Thanks for the information we weren't that adventurous

Connie said...

We bought a kiwano last Halloween... I thought it would be a good addition to a centerpiece that never happened. We were so busy! Anyhow, after I looked it up and found that it was supposed to taste like cucumber, the kids begged me not to cut it up! They don't like cucumber, and really liked the odd looking fruit as is! We had a pet kiwano hanging around in the fruit basket for weeks until it suddenly went soft and I released it into the wilds (by way of the garbage can :P!)