12/14/2012

Speaking English

When I started this blog, I put a lot of thought into the 'description' (the words under the title at the top). I thought NZ culture would be something that I 'got over' and used to, but NZ English still messed with my head, even after 6 years.

Like these:

Sausages look like a fat American hot dog, but boy, they don't taste the same. There's nothing American that I can compare it with, but thanks to a persistent husband, I have found that  'frankfurters' are, indeed, what an American hot dog tastes like. And something called 'kranskies' are the same taste and texture as polish sausage. Yum.

Bacon is a strange thing to get used to. NZ bacon looks like a hunk cut off a ham and sliced up, usually about 6-inches across. You can get several types of bacon, but they still look like ham to me. American  bacon is called 'streaky bacon' here.

Jelly is jello and, of course, jam is what I want to call jelly.

Pudding is a general word for dessert and 'custard' is what I think of when I hear 'pudding'.

I have conceded that I won't get Italian sausage on my pizza from any of the pizza places here, even Domino's. I can find it in the supermarket occasionally and make my own, and that's more fun, anyway.

I have also realized that any sort of American type of cake will only come from my oven. The big thing here is called lamingtons which care basically sponge cake dipped or spread with stuff like chocolate or jam and coconut. They also like pavlova, which is a cross between a meringue and sponge cake. There's nothing wrong with these sweets but it's just not very filling like American stuff.

I have convinced my family that good ol' pound cake is the way to go for cake. Of course, any cake that calls for shortening is out of the question here since it costs about $7 for 8 ounces. Yep, you read that right. Don't get me started on the prices of other things here.....

The longer I'm here the more I am resigned to the prices and lack of availability of things here. Maybe some day they won't be a shock and maybe some day I won't have to translate from American to Kiwi before I understand what we're talking about, but that hasn't happened yet.

*edit*  I just learned that letterbox is English and mailbox is American, the former being simply a slot in the door through which mail is deposited. The mailbox, of course, being a container for mail. Who knew?!

8 comments:

Laurel's Quill said...

yea, but, it's pretty there...right???

betty-NZ said...

Yes, Laurel, it is amazingly beautiful, as you can see on my photoblog, http://myworldthrumycameralens.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

You've definitely raised my awareness about cakes and the shortening ingredients. I do not know if it would work as a substitute for shortening or butter, but I do know you can sub unsweetened applesauce for vegetable oil in cakes without changing the taste. As a 'sister' Midwesterner, I will be putting this on my radar now, to keep my eyes open for some decent cake recipes for you!

Here is one link that discusses substitutions. I hope it is helpful! http://www.livestrong.com/article/509208-healthy-substitute-for-butter-in-cakes/

betty-NZ said...

Thanks, 37-and-counting. The funny thing is that butter is cheaper than margarine here (NZ supplies much of the world's dairy products), so using butter isn't a problem--it's the shortening.

merinz said...

I agree with you about prices here. We travel out of NZ a reasonable amount and notice that some of our household food items are very highly priced. Won't even start about petrol prices!

Liz said...

There's still a war going on between New Zealand and Australia over who can claim the Pavlova as their own. We say it's us kiwis and the Aussies say it's them. One thing I do know it tastes wonderful with fresh cream and kiwifruit on top.

Jessie said...

I just found your blog and haha, I LOVE it! Very amusing hearing about New Zealand from an American's point of view. I'm a kiwi, and my friend moved over to the UK a year ago and has the same trouble getting used to all the different words!

Unknown said...

POUND CAKE!!!!! Absolutely impossible to find here in Dunedin.