5/17/2013

perceptions

I have never been one to try to 'dress to impress' or make sure my makeup and hair are done 'just so' when I go out. I don't wear makeup but I do make sure my hair is combed and my clothes are clean and presentable (as my mom used to say). 

I have always believed that I present myself as a bit more than 'average' when I am out in public, complete with smiles and manners. But that changed today.

We went to a rental agent in Hawera to inquire about housing in that area, as we are thinking of moving. We walked into the office where there were two ladies--one was a content, large lady and the other was an older crusty sort. I assumed one was the receptionist and one was the actual agent, but I hadn't a clue which was which because I know that I suck at jumping to conclusions. 

They both regarded us with no particular interest. Until Hubby announced our intentions and informed them that he has been at the same company for 14 years. When that bit of information was revealed, the crusty agent perked up and even managed a smile. She led us into her office and we conducted our business.

On our way out, Hubby said, 'Do we look homeless or something? She sure wasn't interested in us until she figured out we had money from a job!'

I try hard not to judge people by the way they look, but I'm old enough to know that the world does it all the time. I just didn't know I gave them that little to work with! 

Oh, well. I think we looked pretty good. Maybe she has just become so crusty over time from having been exposed to many 'less than average' folks.

4 comments:

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, hopefully it wasn't you at all, just her being RUDE! Does Bill Gates look like a billionaire? I think not! Angels hide unawares amoung us. We should never, ever judge. Sadly, it happens all the time. Just chalk it up to ignorance. Hope your weekend is better! xoxo

Belle said...

Sales people tend to do that and miss out on making money. One time my daughter and I went into a travel agent office. My daughter wanted to book a trip to Mexico. She was wearing jeans and a tee shirt.

The saleswoman looked at her and sort of sneered, then she turned to me and started asking me what I needed. My daughter was angry and we left without booking anything.

DawnTreader said...

How is it the saying goes... Money talks louder than --- well, in these contexts, probably louder than anything else, I suppose! I don't usually dress up either but sadly I think there are occasions when it may pay off to do so (and others when it might be wiser to do the opposite!)

Liz said...

I was a property manager with Ray Whites for a while. One thing I never did was judge a book by its cover. You treat all people with respect regardless of what they dress in or look like. Sorry you had that experience initially. Hopefully you might find a nice place to live in. All the best.