11/24/2009

Chocolate and sweet memories

Milo is the best selling brand of chocolate drink mix here in NZ. The brand was launched in 1934, although I barely heard of it before I moved here. It is owned by Nestles, [ which has its own interesting history, starting in Switzerland.]

Nestles Quik is also sold here and, while the kids were having some for breakfast this morning, I regaled them with my imitation of Farfel. Remember him?

So, I just had to show them the 'real' thing--as I'm convinced they think I have lost my mind and make up most of the 'facts' I shower upon them. This is the first video I came across...



After they left for school, I did a bit of research on good ol' Farfel and found out that he was created in the wee hours of the morning in Wichita, KS, when comedian Jimmy Nelson picked up a stuffed dog to entertain a rather small audience. His name came from menus from the Catskills (a type of noodle). [If you want the whole story, click here].

And that, my dear readers, is how a legend was 'born'.

4 comments:

Lorac said...

Oh my gosh I never thought I would see that again! I actually still sing that too when I see Nestles. Thanks for the "walk down memory lane".

naki said...

a wonderful salute to the days when the message was simple and the adverts we cheaply made.

FranE said...

Loved the post. Unfortunately now I want a glass of Nestle's chocolate milk...I remember the advertisement also. Thanks for the fun memory.

Anonymous said...

Love the Mount Taranaki banner Bettyl!